Bach to School
The Washington Bach Consort’s free Bach to School programming is focused on introducing young audiences to the music of J.S. Bach.The Consort is one of the only arts organizations providing free, live classical music experiences for DC students in grades 1-12.
We are a community of musicians and educators that are dedicated to creating educational experiences for young audiences that introduce the importance of Bach’s music and his contemporaries for tens of thousands of DC’s young people.
After more than a 30-month hiatus due to the pandemic, the Consort was thrilled to restart its in-person Bach to School field trips for DC students in November 2022.
Our 2023 education programs are expected to provide nearly 3,000 DC students with opportunities to hear and be inspired by exceptional classical music performances. We are committed to making our programs accessible to diverse audiences and helping young people develop an appreciation for early music that will last a lifetime.
With a donation of $100 or more, you will join our Consort Circles, a recognition group for supporters of our artistic and educational programs, and receive the following benefits as an expression of our thanks.
At a Glance
- Washington Bach Consort has presented education programs since the 1980s
- Bach to School typically reaches 3,000 students per year
- DC Public and Charter School Students come from all 8 wards
- Approximately 37% of our attendees are BIPOC ( 23% Black, 8% Latinx, 3% Asia, and 3% multi-racial)
EXPLORE OUR EDUCATIONAL PERFORMANCES AND PROGRAMS
- BACH IN TIME: Even though the music of Bach was written 300 years ago, it is as fun to listen to now as ever. It might surprise you that more people listen to Bach’s music today than there were in Bach’s time! This 45-minute program explores how Bach’s music has traveled farther than we could ever imagine!
- A GOLDBERG VARIATION: Imagine a future where computers and robots have taken over all music, leaving only screeches for our human ears! Dr. Goldberg has traveled back in time and needs our help changing the course of the future.This 45-minute musical play and interactive performance for grades 3 through 5 will have your students combine the building blocks of music and help save the future!
- HERCULES AT THE CROSSROADS: Travel back to 1733 and witness Bach’s ‘latest’ cantata, a story about Hercules. This two-part program features the Bach Consort’s professional musicians during a special performance of Bach’s cantata (a mini-musical). Including a pre-performance workshop this program provides the unique opportunity for students to engage with professional musicians to learn music, mythical, and historical contexts for the story and music.
- WUNDERKIND: Consort teaching artists go into 6th-12th grade music classrooms to lead pre-performance discussions tailored to their age and musical level. Students learn about Bach’s life and are introduced to music terminology and the composition of a cantata. Each class then attends our corresponding Noontime Cantata performance to enjoy the full concert experience.
Click images below to download “Bach to School” classroom materials.
Click below to hear musical samples.