Full-time, Non-Exempt Position
Overview of Position
The Washington Bach Consort, the nation’s premiere baroque orchestra committed to the study and performance of the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach and his contemporaries, seeks a full-time Development Associate to join our growing Washington, DC-based team.
2018 is an exciting year for the Consort, with the impending announcement of a new Artistic Director, a move into a beautiful new office at Metro Center, opportunities for staff expansion and growth, moving forward with a successful fundraising campaign, and continuing to grow our award-winning artistic and educational programs.
The Development Associate serves in a key support staff role, with emphasis on major gifts, annual fund, and special events, working closely with the Executive Director, incoming Artistic Director, and the Consort’s board on these initiatives. Reporting to the Executive Director, the position requires a strategic, but practical, thinker who can work both independently and as part of a small team.
Alongside the Consort’s senior staff and consultants, coordinate key aspects of the Consort’s fundraising plan to achieve short- and long-term financial goals across individual, government, foundation, corporate, and in-kind giving streams.
Individual Giving and Annual Fund
- Support the prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of key donors and coordinate new Bach Parlor access benefit at subscription concerts;
- Create systems to track and share prospects with the Executive Director;
- Lead all gift processing and donor acknowledgements in coordination with the Patron Services Associate so that patron communications is streamlined;
- Perform frequent record maintenance to the Consort’s PatronManager database;
- Generate targeted mailing lists for the Director of External Affairs that reflect the Consort’s updated development relationships;
- Draft content for annual fund solicitations under the guidance of Executive Director and provide copy edits for external facing and publications; and
- Schedule prospect and stewardship meetings with the Executive Director, Artistic Director, board members, and others to solicit funds on behalf of the Consort;
- With guidance from the Director of External Affairs, support events by setting and tracking fundraising goals, identifying prospects, sending acknowledgement letters and tax receipts, and providing on-site support.
Government, Foundation, and Corporate Relations
- Maintain comprehensive calendar of proposal and report deadlines, communicate key deadlines to all staff on a frequent basis, and coordinate content for proposals and interim and final reports;
- Maintain the Consort’s Data Arts reports with updated data about key financial and audience information; and
- Support relationships with foundations, governments and corporate sponsors as requested by the Executive Director and Director of External Relations;
Other Duties, as assigned:
- Provide exemplary customer service to Consort donors and patrons via phone and email correspondence;
- Cross-train with Patron Services Associate to provide back-up box office duties;
- Under direction from the Executive Director, participate in the management of the Board of Directors, including helping to schedule meeting and prepare key meeting materials, serving as the staff liaison to the Development Committee; and
- Additional administrative functions, clerical assistance, prepare mailings, maintain office supplies, and coordinate vendors, as instructed.
- A Bachelor’s degree required;
- At least 2 years of experience with nonprofit fundraising, with specific experience coordinating major donors, annual funds, and special events preferred;
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with staff, volunteers, board members, and donors;
- Ability to effectively convey WBC’s story, properly prepare for and meet deadlines, and collaborate with staff, Executive Director and board;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team and independently;
- Essential analytical skills and an ability to offer creative solutions;
- Knowledge of CRM software (PatronManager experience is preferred), and
- Background in classical music, or work with performing arts organizations preferred.
Hours are full-time mostly during business hours, with occasional evening events and weekend performances. Compensation from mid – to high 40’s, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, both of which should demonstrate your experience, qualifications, educational background, and desire to fill this position: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in subject before August 27. We encourage early applications, as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please. The Bach Consort – now in its 41st season – is an Equal Opportunity Employer.